Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I recently purchased a 2008 Boxster S with 62000mi on it.  It is a CPO I bought in NC so it passed the dealership's inspection.  I live in Augusta GA and the nearest dealership is about an hour away making service a little bit of a pain.

I have driven about 3500 miles and my oil level has gone from the center line to the low line.  According to the manual I need to add about 0.4 liters to get it back to the center line.  I do smell burning oil after I drive the car.  It is not strong but it's there.  There are no oil spots under the car in my garage.

Is this normal or do I need to consider a service visit?

I don't think you are burning oil. That's just the fun Porsche smell meter after a spirited drive. Big fat sticky tires right by your hot exhaust and cats.

Also, using 0.4 litres of oil in 3,500 miles is WELL BELOW Porsche's threashold. IIRC, even 1 litre per 1,000 KM is within Porsche spec. So, you are OK there too.

The oil loss could also be attributed to fuel/moisure burn off. In other words, you are now the new owner who is actually driving the car. Maybe the prior owner did a lot of short trips, and idling and such. This builds up moisture in the oil. Now you buy it, drive it, get it up to temperature, and BAM, the oil drops a 1/2 quart. Normal. You just burnt off the moisture.

Keep an eye on every thing, to confirm this is all normal.

Top up the oil. Less is best. Don't overfill. Add about 200ml at a time per day. And monitor the oil level till it is where you want it to be.

When was the last oil change? What oil did they use? Would be best to add the exact same oil if you can find out. If not, just use Mobil 0W40.

I'd recommend you do your own oil change ASAP if you don't know when the last one was completed. This will "zero out" that maintenance item as the new owner.

Edited by White987S

Thank for the reply.  This is my first high performance car.  I know there are some quirks but I was a little nervous.  The Porsche dealership changed the oil as part of the certification.  I'll have to check and see what brand they used and get a quart today.

Thank for the reply.  This is my first high performance car.  I know there are some quirks but I was a little nervous.  The Porsche dealership changed the oil as part of the certification.  I'll have to check and see what brand they used and get a quart today.

I bet the used either Mobil 0W40 or Pennzoil 5W40. Lot of dealers are using the Pennzoil now. Probably less expensive than Mobil.