Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2000 Carrera 2 6 speed coupe - Alternator/cables tests

I would like to do the tests on alternator and cables described in a post of Ahsai on June 25, 2013.

Some of the tests involve connecting into the alternator output called ‘A’ in the post.  I have trouble in locating ‘A’ on the back side of the alternator using an inspection mirror and I am not sure about how to make a reliable connection into it with the test cable.  The post mentions the use of a J shaped hook attached to an insulated wire, but I don't know what the connection point looks like and where it is.  I am also concerned about the risk of causing a short. 

Any suggestions on how I should proceed?

Thanks

You can see the connection in figure 5 here, where the red arrow points to.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/82-ELEC-Alternator/82-ELEC-Alternator.htm

I made the j hook out of some green vinly coated stiiff wire. Just remove a quarter inch of the vinyle at the tip and bend it into a j shaped hook. Connect the other end to one of the test probes of the multimeter. Since the whole hook is coated by an insulator, it won't short out anything.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/50-Green-Vinyl-Coated-Clothesline-Wire/54001989?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=2177&adid=22222222228063026633&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=166163385593&wl4=pla-274226895538&wl5=9061210&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=54001989&wl13=2177&veh=sem

Edited by Ahsai

Thanks, Ahsai.  But I am not familiar with this alternator and what is on the back side of it.  Where is the connection point and what are its shape and approximate dimensions so that I can finalize the geometry of the hook?

Thanks

post-5282-0-17778200-1374180568.thumb.jpg.15a94e44f8a6da0eb15602bc8cfdbfab.jpg

Did you see figure 5 above?

Here's the photo of my hook for your reference. I think you may be over thinking it. You only need the hook to touch the terminal long enough to capture a reading so you just poke around until you get a reading.

Edited by Ahsai