Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Convertible Top Motor dead? (986)

Hey 

The convertible top on my '99 Boxster has been acting up for the past few years. Sometimes worked fine and other times wouldn't work at all. I had it looked at by my local shop and by my local Porsche service center. My local shop replaced the switch in the convertible top latch housing (a few years ago) and then the emergency break switch (a couple years ago). This didn't solve the problem. Then a couple of weeks ago the Porsche service center again replaced the emergency break switch, again not solving the problem. Over the past week or so the top had completely stopped working, but then this morning it was working again (intermittently). The tech at Porsche said that everything has been checked (relay, switches, etc.) so he suggests replacing the convertible top motor for approximately $2500. I'd appreciate insights from anyone that has been through this. I see quite a few posts re malfunctioning tops so any info will be helpful. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, pk_99_986 said:

Hey 

The convertible top on my '99 Boxster has been acting up for the past few years. Sometimes worked fine and other times wouldn't work at all. I had it looked at by my local shop and by my local Porsche service center. My local shop replaced the switch in the convertible top latch housing (a few years ago) and then the emergency break switch (a couple years ago). This didn't solve the problem. Then a couple of weeks ago the Porsche service center again replaced the emergency break switch, again not solving the problem. Over the past week or so the top had completely stopped working, but then this morning it was working again (intermittently). The tech at Porsche said that everything has been checked (relay, switches, etc.) so he suggests replacing the convertible top motor for approximately $2500. I'd appreciate insights from anyone that has been through this. I see quite a few posts re malfunctioning tops so any info will be helpful. 

Welcome to RennTech :welcomeani:

Your dealer is more than a little out of line price wise for that electric motor, it should retail for around $250.  You could also get one out of a wreck as well.

Yeah, I didn’t ask many questions when my Porsche dealer gave me the $2500 quote because the number was so ridiculous. I just told them no thanks and laughed a little. In fact, they actually quoted me $5500 ($2500 for the motor replacement and $3000 for a replacement top). My rear window (plastic) needs to be replaced. I know the shop they use for top replacements and I already had a quote from them to replace the top for half the cost ($1600). Problem is I obviously don’t want to replace the top until I can get it working properly. 

Anyone know a good Porsche shop in the Washington, DC area? My local shop I’ve been using for 10+ years has let me down a couple times now. Bummer.