Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Folks,

I started noticing this intermittent creak/groan on the driver's side front suspension, every time I egress the car, after a spirited drive. 

I have had some creaking due to the lubrication loss in the ball joint area from the rear and have used the hole-in-the-rubber-boot to inject grease to keep the noise from recurring. I did the same for the front, just to be sure.

This noise puzzles me.

Based on my research, it may be the front strut mount bearing but didn't want to go about replacing parts without your opinions.

It doesn't occur when the steering wheel is moved from corner to corner though or feel different during a drive.

Shows up only when there is downward pressure on the foot area in the driver side, during egress or when pressure is applied on the car side fender over/near the strut area. 

Here is a video of the latter, for audio on two creak/groans between the spring movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkRMza6B3ms

Appreciate your insights on what this can be...

My car is clocking nearly 173K ...so wondering if this can be a simple DIY  or figure out the need to have a complete strut bearing and/or strut replacement.

Thank you,

V

Edited by Vish_ster

Ah ha...Thanks again, JFP!

Any way this can be lubbed like the control arm ball joint boot, or does it need a straight replacement? I see that that access is via the 3 screws under the frunk...but don't get a clear line of sight to the bearing area.

If the bearing is weak, can the strut not be far away from needing a replacement?

I did the bounce test on the strut and it returns back without any oscillation, when pressed down. 

Edited by Vish_ster

• Moderators

It is not that simple.  The strut bearing swap requires removal of the strut assembly, compression of the spring, and then disassembly of the strut itself to get at the bearing.  And after putting the car back together, you will need an alignment.   If the strut cartridges themselves have a lot of miles on them, or show signs of leakage, etc.; now would be a good time to replace them as well.

Sounds good, JFP and Loren.

Ball park - what should I expect to pay if I had to have this work done at an Indy shop?

Strut mounts, struts for both axles, alignment and labor (@ $100/hr).

I'm spending a bit of money on the car lately - miles and age being big factors, so trying to establish a baseline to what is in store for me w.r.t. maintenance cost, moving forward vs. smiles out of the car :)

Quick follow-up, my Boxster has the M030 suspension in it now.

Does it make sense to upgrade the struts, and would the Bilstein B6 be a good idea?

Mine is mostly a street car with lots of highway driving.and with rides around twisties whenever I can.

Would I notice a difference in the ride quality with the B6s? Does these struts tend to lower the car too? or should I stay with the stock ones in the replacement?

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

It took a few tries - I was able to get rid of that groan/creak by lubbing thru this area on the strut tower,

" I see that access is via the 3 screws under the frunk...but don't get a clear line of sight to the bearing area."

This lubricant has worked well for me.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b-laster-4556/chemicals---fluids-16461/grease---lube-16582/graphite-lubricant-17699/pro-grade-multi-purpose-lubricant/pb50/4608975

This was about 9K miles ago and no sign of that noise since then. 

Hope this helps.

Merry Christmas!

Thanks,

Vish