Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Screaching Window Noise

No results using key words: window - noise

When I lower driver side window I get a very loud screaching noise. Rapidly repeating up/down sequences diminishes noise but after a fairly short interval it reappears. No problem when raising window.

I'm hoping for an easy solution as I don't want to go into the door panel if I can avoid it.

Thanks for suggestions and comments.

No results using key words: window - noise

When I lower driver side window I get a very loud screaching noise. Rapidly repeating up/down sequences diminishes noise but after a fairly short interval it reappears. No problem when raising window.

I'm hoping for an easy solution as I don't want to go into the door panel if I can avoid it.

Thanks for suggestions and comments.

My drivers door window did this two weeks ago on a really hot day. I thought it was because the rubber on the outside top of the door was expanded and gripping the hot glass and causing a screech.

I put the window up and down a few times thinking it might clear it and then 'ping' noise and a scrunchy grinding noise. The cables on the window regulator snapped :(

A new window regulator had to be fitted - not cheap.

The screach has gone away as suddenly as it appeared. Go figure.

good. add this to "mysterious porsche issues" forum. ( I wonder if a light silicone lube of the window seals would help?)

not to steal this thread, but has anyone had screaching issues when adjusting the passenger seat, esp in moving it back?

• 4 months later...

"scrunchy grinding noise" & "noise like gravel has been placed in the track"

These noises are window regulators on their way out. Typically more noticable when windows are going down.

But a "very loud screaching noise" Without hearing it, I dont' know if that is a typicall faulty window regulator noise. It sucks trying to descibe noises to people doesn't it?

Edited by porsche1234

You can usually tell if it's the window seal or the regulator as you can see the seal pulling on the window and the bad seal noise is like fingers on a balloon type thing. Silicone grease will recondition the seals somewhat and get them to stop sticking. There's a DIY for the regulators.

You can usually tell if it's the window seal or the regulator as you can see the seal pulling on the window and the bad seal noise is like fingers on a balloon type thing. Silicone grease will recondition the seals somewhat and get them to stop sticking. There's a DIY for the regulators.

Is there any preventive action that can be taken to prevent the regulator failure?

When my drivers side failed, I had the grinding noise and no drop when opening or closing the door. When the passenger side failed about a month later it would not move at all. I could not move the window by pushing or pulling. The cable had broken a strand or two and had hopelessly jammed.

post-898-1258600000_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I had a similar issue & noticed the screeching intermittently when it was warm or humid out. I figured it was just dirty and/or dried out window seals. I cleaned the inside of the seals then sparingly applied a bit of silicon lube (sprayed it on a cloth then ran it along the inside of the seals) & have had no screeching since.

good. add this to "mysterious porsche issues" forum. ( I wonder if a light silicone lube of the window seals would help?)

not to steal this thread, but has anyone had screaching issues when adjusting the passenger seat, esp in moving it back?

Hi, yes I currently have screaching issues when adjusting the passenger seat. Can't seem to locate the source. Have even pulled the entire seat out, and lubricated the runners. Any ideas ?

I had the identical problem (loud periodic squeaking noise when lowering the window) and I fixed it by lubing the heck out of the roller from the top. I used Wurth HHS 2000 (great stuff) and it took several applications before the sound was gone.

If you are trying a lube on rubber make sure it is a silicone LUBE. Some of the spray silicones seem to be absorbed and not act as a lube. This some times leaves you with a cleaned up piece of rubber that definately drags on anything it rubs. I've found a cleaner conditioner I use on my bike called Plexus works pretty good for plastics and rubber. I'm pretty sure it has some silicone in it but I used it to lube up my gas tank fill door and it locks just fine now. That is plastic on plastic though. Anyway one of the spray silicones just made things worse one time since it cleaned the doors rubber window skirt and dragged on the window even worse after applying it.

One of the prior to my purchasing my 911 was the replacement of the window mech which makes me feel better reading this thread.

can the cables in the regulator be lubricated?

You can certainly lubricate the cable (one continuous loop IIRC), but to do it thoroughly, you will have to remove the door panel. You can get access to some parts of the regulator from the four small access holes that are located on the horizontal surface of the bottom of the door, two in front and two to the rear. If you have never seen the inside of the door, you have to get a picture of the mechanism so that you know what you are "shooting" at.

That Wurth HHS spray that Stefan mentioned is excellent as it does not evaporate quickly and it works for a long time lubricating the parts.

Regards, Maurice.

• 1 month later...

Hi, yes I currently have screaching issues when adjusting the passenger seat. Can't seem to locate the source. Have even pulled the entire seat out, and lubricated the runners. Any ideas ?

Update: Screeching passenger seat problem fixed in 30mins. Problem was an insufficiently greased plastic bushing on the fore/aft adjustment shaft. Refer to 996 TSB 7213 for diagnosis and remedy.